I got this list from my local Mom’s group* of foods that help increase breastmilk supply. I wanted to post it so others could access the information as well.
Personally, I eat at least one of these foods on a daily basis. I also have a decent supply. Related? Maybe. But I know of anecdotal evidence supporting the effectiveness of these foods to increase breastmilk supply. And, honestly, if you’re trying to increase your supply, wouldn’t you eat just about anything to help?
- Beer (especially Guinness)
- Beet greens
- Chickpeas (hummus)
- Chicken (bone-in)
- Green Beans
- Pumpkin seeds
- Rice cakes
- Sesame seeds
To get these in, I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day, have some veggies & hummus as a snack and try to have one of the items (carrots, rice, etc.) with dinner. It’s actually pretty easy to incorporate some of these foods into your daily routine and maintain a healthy diet. In fact, you’re probably eating some already without even knowing it!
Here are a few recipes that incorporate these foods to get you started. Some I’ve tried, and some I am putting on the menu!
- Pumpkin Turkey Chili. This is amazing. I love pumpkin anything. Add cumin for more breastmilk impact.
- Ginger-Lime Chicken with Coconut Rice. Looks so yummy & tropical! Use bone-in chicken for best results.
- Spaghetti Alla Ceci (Spaghetti with Chickpeas). A great recipe. I’ve made it a bunch of times.
- Baked Apricot Chicken. I don’t know if I’ve ever had apricot. I have to try this!
- Green Beans & Toasted Almonds. Simple & tasty.
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles. So easy, but impressive & delicious. What isn’t better with the addition of bacon?
- Fried Rice. Also includes carrots & peas!
- Oriental Asparagus Salad. Quadfecta of supply-increasing foods! Asparagus, sesame seeds, ginger & cumin! Cannot wait to try!
- Oatmeal. Straight up, as is. Simple, fast, effective.
- Downeast Maine Pumpkin bread.Remember how I said I love all things pumpkin? This is the best pumpkin bread. Ever. Also includes ginger!
- Baked Oatmeal.Looks delicious!
- Apricot Danish Coffee Cake. For when you’re feeling fancy.
- Rice Pudding.I. Love. Rice. Pudding.
- Pumpkin Crème brûlée.I had this in a restaurant and had to make it. Heaven on Earth.
- Almond Bundt Cake.Why am I posting desserts when I’m trying to eat healthy???
Add your favorite! Or if you try any of these, let me know how they turn out!
*The Mom’s Group I go to is Nini Bambini in southern New Hampshire. If you’re in the area, let me know & come check it out! We’d love to have you.